The Time to Innovate is Now
NovaNow is a conference for educators of all kinds to share their best ideas, plans, and dreams about learning. It is also a place where thoughtful questioning and critiques are encouraged. Presentations are not given, but rather conversations are led around learning. NovaNow is a conversational conference based on the model of Educon in Philadelphia.
NovaNow will be a series of conversations about learning. Core beliefs include:
- Learning should be student-centered and inquiry-based.
- Learning should focus on collaboration, creativity, critical thinking, and communication.
- Learning is enhanced when meaning is constructed by learners in their community.
- Technology supports learning, but should not be the focus.
- Learning should not and cannot be contained in schools and buildings.
NovaNow will be held September 27-28, 2013 at Kent Innovation High in Grand Rapids, Michigan. Kent Innovation High is a Project Based Learning school attended by students across Kent County. It is part of the New Tech Network of schools and has been awarded Demonstration Site status as an exemplary model of PBL.
Participants will tour the PBL school and interact with students on Friday morning. After lunch, conversations will start and continue on Saturday.